A Dog Bite…

Five days ago, I was bitten by a dog on the face. Never in my wildest dreams did I ever imagine something like this happening. One minute I’m chatting with a friend and the next minute I’m bleeding all over the place.

I feel sad… unmotivated. I wonder if it will scar. I look in the mirror as I change the bandages and my stomach churns. That isn’t my face. My smooth, pale, unmarked skin has been replaced by a long line of stiches under my eye, a nasty drainage tube, and a hole in my cheek that I have to stuff with sterile packing each night.
I cry. I’m conflicted over my feelings. Is it ok to be vain in this situation? I’m not typically that worried about how I look. I’m fairly laid back… relaxed… but suddenly I’m thrust into this sense of panic. I silently whisper that when the stitches vanish… the wounds will be nothing more than distant memory.

Comments

1. Jen says:

Oh Kelly, I'm so sorry that happened to you. It is completely ok to worry, and be upset. Hugs.

2. Sara @ Super Saving Sense says:

I know it's hard, I hope you feel better soon. I feel really bad for you. Rest, I will be seeing you soon!

3. Irene Norman says:

I am so sorry. What you have written about is very normal. But, you are beautiful on the inside and the outside…no matter what. I hope you heal quickly and let me know if you need anything.

4. Melissa, Multi-Tasking Mama says:

I hate, hate that this happened to your beautiful face. The thing is though, you are beautiful from the inside out and that will shine through no matter any scars (but still praying you won't have any!) Love you girl!

5. Jacque says:

Irene said it, you are a beautiful person inside and out.
    I'm so sorry this happened to you but you will get through it. You are a strong person. Your feelings are natural so don't you worry. Talking about it is a good thing.
    Wishing, praying and hoping for a speedy recovery for you!

6. Anonymous says:

Kelly you are beautiful no matter how you look. Of course you are going to be concerned about how you look. Just remember that it's fresh right now and with some time physical scars will fade. I know it's hard to understand sometimes why things happen but know that a scar will not define who you are. You will get through it. Hugs and prayers.

Laura Lee :)

7. Childhood says:

Thanks everyone for the comments…. it really made my day. xo

8. songskatesang says:

Oh, Kelly. I am so, so sorry. Good thoughts coming your way!

9. Katja of Skimbaco says:

OMG Kelly – this is horrible! I am so sorry!!

10. Rebecca says:

Kelly, these are normal human feelings. It is hard to not feel like things are different. Please remember that you are still beautiful and your inner beauty and glow will always shine through.

11. Steph says:

You are so much more than your face. I love your FACE no matter what it looks like.

But yes it is 100% okay and normal to worry about how you will look/feel. Hugs and love and prayers all sent your way.

12. daddybookins says:

You know we love you Kelly!!! No matter what or how you look….you will always be our bubbly bundle of joy – you are ALWAYS a pure delight to be with and I am honored to say that you are one AMAZING friend!

*HUGS*
    ~Cameron

13. seo services says:

I just wanted to comment your blog and say that I really enjoyed reading your blog post here. It was very informative and I also digg the way you write! Keep it up and I’ll be back to read more soon mate

14. Thank you for building your blog site, I located you on Google and I need to say I’m impressed. Appreciate it yet again…

15. Hi Kelly,
    It took me a bit to comment on your post, but here I am, reason being is that I remember when the dog bite 1st happened, I remember reading about it, and of course you think of what you would do in that situation. i was so scared at the thought of something like that happening to my children. We had a rottweiler who bit my baby in the head; 3 staples and she was sent to live on a farm. For 2 years we have had a pitbull, now don’t get me wrong, I am not afraid of my dog, he is a therapy dog for my son (special needs) he has been the most docile and loving creature we have ever met. He has jumped infront of other dogs to protect my children.
    Moving on, everywhere we go people always have judged our dog, not for the amazing love and support he gives to our family, but for the breed that he is.
    I was bitten a year ago by a Cocker spaniel, he shredded my ankle, ever since then I have been so embarassed to show my ankle, because of the scars; yet I always told my children to be proud of who they are, don’t judge me LOL. During our 2 week stay in NY after BlogHer10 my daughter was bit in the face by a chocolate lab. My biggest fears came to life as I was 1 hr away from her in Manhattan. We sped to her, to the hospital, imagining the worst! She now has a scar on her lip, her inner lip, and a puncture wound on her cheek. I have had her watching your weekly show, I want her to see that you are confident and strong, and that life goes on. She is 10, kids at school have been teasing her so much, I admire you Kelly and thank you so much for being that person to show my daughter that life goes on, and that your beauty is definitely still there ;)

Ok long enough, gonna go find the tissue now!! ;)

16. Kelly says:

Oh goodness… Now I need a tissue right here on the plane! I can’t tell you how amazing it is to know that I’ve reached one little 10yr old girl just by going live each week. When I was in New York… I was so nervous to be broadcasting live in front of THOUSANDS of people with a bandage and a scar… but I did it. It was really my viewers that got me through it. Viewers like you and your daughter who I knew would be watching to see how the show would go on.
    Thank you so much for your comment. Please tell your daughter that even though it’s a long road… it’s only going to get better from here. Now we’re in a club…
    Dog Bite Faces *high five*