We have had a copy of Hot on the Range by R.D. Jentsch, courtesy of the author, for about a week now. When I opened the package… my girls went nuts… as usual. This time was a bit different though. They love books. They love to look at all the pictures and they sit so well during a story. They wanted to read it… right then!
If your children love a good story… this is the book for you. Hot on the Range features a paint horse named Chester and all the different ways he tries to cool off in the hot Texas sun. His good buddy Willie, a palomino, spends the story lounging under a shade tree.
Reading this story was a great opportunity to explain the different types of horses. Chester is a paint horse, which means he’s kinda spotty like a cow. (That’s how I explained it) Willie is a palomino, which means he’s blond in color. My kids were really interested in this because there are alot of horses in our neighborhood.
If your children love beautiful illustrations, this is also the book for you. David C. Bryant is the illustrator. He brings the imagery in the words to life with his fun-loving, yet lifelike illustrations.
I asked each of my girls what was their favorite part of the story. They both responded that their favorite part was when Chester was rolling around in the dirt trying to get cooled off.
Thanks so much R.D. for letting us review your book! We give it 4 hooves up! And Thank you to The Product Review Place.
Win: (1) copy of Hot on the Range by R.D. Jentsch
To Enter: Leave a comment on why your child might enjoy Hot on the Range.
* You’ll get one extra entry each if you:
1. Become a follower of the Childhood blog
2. Follow @childhood on Twitter
3. Follow @bekjents on Twitter (R.D. Jentsch)
4. Tweet about this giveaway (make sure to use @childhood in tweet so I know)
5. Blog about this giveaway and link back to the Childhood giveaway.
* Make sure to use a separate comment for each “entry”
* The deadline for entries is July 22nd, 2009, 11:59pm PST.
* The winner will be notified via email on July 30th, 2009 (make sure your email address is in your profile or comment) and will have 3 days to accept!